Wow, life has been busy and I am very behind with the October CKC. The last two weeks have been a little crazy with the last week of the school holidays and the first week of work/school. I had a beautiful last week break with time spent being ‘Nanny’, spending time with friends and family, and catching up on some crafting. Then, like all teachers, I caught up on marking assignments, set up the classroom and planned new units/lessons and resources for the new term. The first week of the term is always busy with lots of meetings and jobs to do which keep you late at work and leaves very little time in my life for scrapbooking.
So, yesterday was the first day of actually delving into my CKC kit and having a play. I was excited to get started and after breaking my big kit into smaller layout kits with matching photos, I finally got started.
The first layout I decided to work on was my lovely, Dad’s birthday. My sister arranged a party for him and baked the lovely Black Forest Cake…Yum!
For my first forgery, I wanted to try making the little wooden frame embellishment. I had printed out some fun, free, quote cards from Laura Kate is Crafty which are themed around 80’s movies. The ‘Party on dudes!’ card will work well with my birthday layout.
It was a pretty easy process, I just trimmed my quote card around the edges. To reduce the handmade look and create some shadow I ran a black marker around the quote card before applying the adhesive foam. I used a double-sided foam sheet, then I could cut it into very thin strips of adhesive for each edge of the card. I then cut some woodgrain paper to the size of the card and trimmed out the centre, creating a 1/4″ wide thin frame. Voila! One lovely framed quote embellishment ready to use.
Next, I put the layout together using a simple, linear, layered design, overlapping the papers and adding my embellishments. As I don’t have any puffy stickers, I used some wooden cherries which I coloured with Tim Holtz’s red Barn Door ink. It wasn’t the best choice but was sitting on my desk, it rubbed off on my fingers and I had to apply some Microglaze to try and seal it. I should have used a dye ink. I added some small text and alphas from my CKC kit. A fairly quick and simple layout, another one for the family album.